One of the major aims of the GYA is to support the establishment and development of National Young Academies (NYA), cooperation with them and networking. For this purpose, the GYA has developed A Blueprint for Establishing a National Young Academy and provides advice and support.
At the GYA AGM 2012, Professor Roseanne Diab (Academy of Science on South Africa) discussed the role and experience of Senior Academies in the establishment of Young Academies with Caradee Wright (Co-Chair of the South African Young Academy of Science): video
A toolkit designed to help new young academies get established will be forthcoming in summer 2020. Please contact the with any queries you may have in the meantime. Thank you!
See the 2019 Declaration on the Guiding Principles of Young Academies to read about their core principles.
The following texts are good starting points for learning about and engaging with the young academy network:
- Ulrich Schollwöck (2005) An Academy of their own, IN: Nature, Vol 437.
- Tilman Brück, Catherine Beaudry, Hans Hilgenkamp, Nitsara Karoonuthaisiri, Hiba Salah-Eldin Mohamed and Gregory A. Weiss (2010) Empowering Young Scientists, IN: Science, Vol 328.
- Volker ter Meulen & Günter Stock (2010) Cultivating Young Academies, IN: Science, Vol 330.
- Bruce Alberts (2011) The Young Academy Movement, IN: Science, Vol 332.
- Eva Alisic & Hans Hilgenkamp (2018) New Voices, at last, IN: Science, Vol 361.