Editor-at-Large for Connections
(GYA members only)
If you have a love of the written word and would like to assume a rewarding and high-profile position within the GYA, please consider applying for the Editor-at-Large position of Connections, the magazine of the Global Young Academy.
The Editor-at-Large is primarily responsible for the content of Connections, that is, shepherding the authors through the article writing and review process, while the Executive Editor (GYA Press Officer) takes over after the articles are provided, and is responsible for production aspects such as proofreading, graphics, photos, layout, printing, etc.
Previous experience is helpful but not necessary – this is an excellent opportunity to learn both the art and science behind producing a magazine.
Editors-at-Large can serve either a one- or two-year term, which begins immediately following each AGM meeting of a calendar year. Two Editors-at-Large, or one Editor-at-Large and an Associate Editor, are also possibilities and would lessen the time commitment. We are flexible in this regard.
If you are interested in applying for this role, or that of an Associate Editor-at-Large, please email .
Applications will be accepted until 4 April 2019. The selected Editor will be informed by 21 April 2019.
Responsibilities of the Editor-at-Large
- Contribute ideas for editorial theme to be decided upon by EC.
- Assemble a team of GYA members to review articles.
- Manage the delegation of responsibilities to reviewers.
- Find authors and assign articles (members and alumni, and any other guest contributors).
- Collecting, reviewing, and tracking submitted articles.
- Ensure content submitted by contributors is relevant to the editorial theme, and fits GYA’s overall vision and aims.
- Work with Executive Editor to ensure all information is submitted in a timely manner.
- Write the Editor-at-Large foreword.
- Be available to meet via conference call, and regular e-mail correspondence.
- Assist and liaise with the Executive Editor (Press Officer) in all relevant aspects of Connections.
Time required for the position
- One-year commitment, with option for two years (second year would be that much smoother).
- Conference call – two hours maximum.
- Time required outside of meetings for reading articles and correspondence/follow-up – 2 to 6 hours, with more time being required as deadlines approach.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Project management of small groups
- Previous experience as an editor or journalist a definite advantage but not necessary. This isn’t rocket science, but it is an enriching learning journey that will take place with the support of the Executive Editor.