Project Researcher (m/f/d)
The Global State of Young Scientists in Latin America and the Caribbean (GloSYS LAC)
Start date: March 2020
Duration: 8 months initially (There is the possibility of a 3 year prolongation if the research proposal is granted the necessary funding).
Location: German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina, Halle (Saale), Germany
Contract and salary: In accordance with the German labour agreement for public services TVöD, depending on the appointed candidate’s level of work experience (up to TVöD E 14). Fulltime.
The Project Researcher is responsible for writing the research proposal for a future GloSYS LAC study and developing the research partnerships in the region. S/he will be working with GYA members in the Latin America and the Caribbean region and work with a part-time project assistant who has extensive experience in the GloSYS Africa project. The researcher will report to the GYA Managing Director. Depending on the qualifications, s/he may become the PI of the GloSYS LAC project (which we anticipate would be a further three years). S/he should carry out the following tasks with the support of the corresponding GYA Working Group.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Setting up a research plan for a mixed methods GloSYS LAC study taking into account the existing GloSYS umbrella project
• Work with and further develop the network of regional partner institutions for this research project
• Liaise with the GYA working group, the GYA leadership and experts in LAC
• Write a competitive research proposal for the GloSYS LAC project, most likely aiming at DFG and its partners in LAC
• Co-author a journal article for a peer reviewed journal on the research concept of GloSYS LAC
• Oversee the work of the GloSYS research assistant
• Present the GloSYS LAC project and earlier study results at conferences internationally
• Carry out administrative tasks related to the project
• Academic qualification related to the study of higher education (degree e.g. in pedagogy, psychology, sociology, social anthropology or similar) preferably with a doctorate
• At least 3 years of relevant experience, ideally in empirical social science research, education research, or science policy and science studies
• Fluent command of English, Spanish and preferably also Portuguese and/or French
• Proven ability and experience in leading and coordinating a team
• Intercultural competence and experience; we especially encourage applicants with research experience in Latin America and the Caribbean to apply
• Readiness to travel internationally (1-2 per year)
• Experience in writing research proposals
The salary will be based on the German public wage agreement, up to level E 14. The working time is 39 hours per week (fulltime). The contract duration will be 8 months and is limited to the term congruent with the current funding (ending on 31 December 2020 the latest). If the research proposal developed as part of this project is granted funding, we aim to continue employing the successful applicant in the main research project (possibly an additional three years).
Leopoldina and GYA are an equal opportunities employer with commitment to a diverse workforce. We welcome applicants from any nationality whom fulfil all requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. Applicants who are non-EU citizens and not citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, need a valid work permit.
If you are interested in this position, please apply online using our online application form at www.leopoldina.org/de/jobs or send your CV, motivation letter, and certificates to. The deadline for application is 9 March 2020. Job Interviews will take place on 12 March 2020.
For further information please contact Managing Director Beate Wagner: