The 4th Worldwide Meeting of Young Academies (WWMYA) took place from 31 July – 2 August 2019 in Da Nang, Vietnam, hosted by the Vietnam Young Academy (VYA) and co-organised by the Global Young Academy (GYA). The meeting was kindly hosted at Duy Tan University, who were also supporting the organisation of this meeting.
Theme: Young Academies for Promoting Peaceful and Inclusive Societies
The 2019 WWMYA brought together representatives from existing and from newly-establishing young academies from all over the globe (see here for a current list of young academies). It offered a great opportunity for young academy representatives to exchange experiences, discuss successful young academy activities and develop common positions and best practices for cooperation both on a global and on regional levels. In doing so, the meeting succeeded in carrying forward the outcomes from the previous WWMYAs in the Netherlands (2012), Sweden (2015) and South Africa in particular (2017) (see here for the 2017 WWMYA Report).
Da Nang Statement (2 August 2019): LINK
News release (30 July 2019): LINK
WWMYA briefing note: LINK
Pre-Conference: The WWMYA was preceded by the 2-day VYA Maiden Conference on “Nanomaterials for Healthcare”, from 29-31 July 2019. Details on the Conference website here.
For any queries regarding the 4th Worldwide Meeting of Young Academies 2019, please contact Anna-Maria Gramatté at the GYA Office.
Programme Organising Committee
The Programme Organising Committee included representatives from the VYA, the GYA and the following young academies: Cameroon Academy of Young Scientists, Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists, Indian National Young Academy of Science, Young Academy of Japan, Dutch Young Academy, Nigerian Young Academy, Sri Lanka Academy of Young Scientists, Thai Young Scientists Academy; as well as the young academy initiatives from Bangladesh, Hungary and Nepal.
Local Organising Committee
The Local Organising Committee included representatives from the VYA and Duy Tan University, as well as from the GYA.
Partners / Funders
The Meeting was kindly supported by the following organisations:
- Duy Tan University, Da Nang, Vietnam
- German Federal Ministry of Education & Research (BMBF)
- National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED), Vietnam
- Vietnamese Ministry of Education and Training (MOET)
- Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City
- Korea-Vietnam Friendship Information Technology College, Da Nang, Vietnam
- InterAcademy Partnership (IAP for Policy)
- International Science Council (ISC)
- National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), Thailand
- Office of Naval Research US
- University of St Andrews (UK)
- Africa Oxford Initiative (UK)