Country of Residence
Find out more
HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry
International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences
HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS), University of Karachi, Karachi-75270, Pakistan
Biological mass spectrometry:
-Utilization of modern mass spectrometric approaches in addition with others fractionated tools for the searching of serological proteomics and metabolomics biomarkers in lungs, oral and breast cancers patients.
Organic mass spectrometry:
-Development of protonated /deprotonated fragmentation pathways, gas-phase reactions studies, and structure-fragmentation relationship (SFR) studies of pharmacological important classes of natural products.
-Oil screening and optimization in Pakistani micro algae for biodiesel production.
-New MALDI matrix development for the analysis of metabolites in biological fluids.
-Ultra-fast HPLC, TLC-Densitometric and LC-MS method development for the marker compounds analysis in pharmaceutical products, agricultural products and commercially important plant extracts.
-Metabolomic profiling of Pakistani rice and mangoes by modern separation techniques including LC-MS-MS
Brief Resume Dr. Syed Ghulam Musharraf
Dr. Syed Ghulam Musharraf, is among the most promising young chemist of Pakistan working as an Associate Professor at Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research (PCMD), International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS), University of Karachi, since 2007. Dr. Musharraf has post-doctoral experience from Austria and USA on mass spectrometry. Dr. Musharraf has extensive experience in new MS techniques such as Electrospray Ionization (ESI), Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization (MALDI), and Tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS). He is an established practitioner of hyphenated techniques, such as GC-MS/MS and LC-MS/MS in various applications of natural products chemistry and proteomics and metabolomics analysis. Important highlights of his achievements are briefly mentioned below:
· Developed a modern mass spectrometry research laboratory at the ICCBS, focusing on cancer proteomics and metabolomics biomarkers and for phytochemical analysis.
· He has published over 100 research papers in reputed international journals with an impact factor of over 250. He has also patented his discoveries in a US patent. Produced several Ph. D. and M.Phil. students in the field of mass spectrometry.
· Selected member of Global Young Academy, 2017
· Recipient of The Charles Wallace scholarship, UK, 2016
· Selected as a TWAS young affiliates 2016 from TWAS in 2016
· Recipient of Endeavour Executive Fellowship, Australia, 2015.
· Best Research Paper Award (as a coauthor), Title “Silica-Lanthanum Oxide-Pioneer Composite of Rare Earth Metal Oxide in Selective phosphopeptides Enrichment” from HEC, Pakistan, announced in 10th March, 2015.
· Dr. Atta-ur-Rahman Gold medal award (Young Scientist award) in 2013 from Pakistan Academy of Science
· Recipient of European Erasmus Mundas Scholarship, 2013.
· Selected as an Associate Young Scientist from Pakistan Academy of Science in 2012.
· Member of Editorial Board of international Journals, including Scientific Reports (since 2014) and Reviewer of many international journals including Nature Communication, a journal of Nature Publishing group since 2014; Scientific Reports, a journal of Nature Publishing group; Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic” (UK), Elsevier publishers, since 2011; International Journal of mass spectrometry (UK), Elsevier publishers, since 2011; Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry (UK), John Wiley and Sons, since 2013; and Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry (USA), ACS publishers, since 2009.
· Recipient of Austrian OAD Postdoctoral Fellow ship (2005-2006).
· 3rd Prize of Dr Zafar Hussain Zaidi on Poster presentation entitled Microbial Transformation of Bioactive Natural Products: 9th International Symposium on National Product Chemistry (Jan. 10-13, 2004, Karachi, Pakistan).
· Won several international and international research grants.