COVID-19 vaccination rollout: opportunities and challenges
The Global Young Academy (GYA) is looking for 4–5 contributions from members of Young Academies for a New Voices in Global Health session at the World Health Summit 2021. Contributing speakers will present a concise and engaging input in the format of a lightning talk (5 minutes × 5 visually engaging slides) in which opportunities and challenges in the local, regional, or global COVID-19 vaccination rollout are shared. Talks should focus on one key aspect and conclude with a take-home message or question for a multidisciplinary audience (e.g., a finding or challenge, and how it affects responding to the coronavirus pandemic). Specific questions the session would like to explore include but are not limited to: What are barriers and facilitators for delivering vaccinations after vaccines are available? How might vaccine hesitancy affect vaccination rollout? How could digital technologies facilitate vaccination rollout? Lightning talks will provide a defined input and create a common basis for discussion with the audience, which is a key element of the New Voices in Global Health session. Audience and speakers will together be the New Voices in Global Health in this session.
The session is scheduled for Tuesday, October 26, 2021, from 11:00 to 12:30 in Berlin, Germany. Active participation during the full World Health Summit 2021 is expected. The World Health Summit will cover travel expenses and accommodation if the session will be held in Berlin. Members and alumni of National Young Academies, similar young scientist networks (listed here), or the Global Young Academy are eligible to submit a lightning talk proposal. Applicants should be in the early to middle years of their independent careers. Preference will be given to submissions from academy members and first-time participants. Selection will be based on submitted lightning talks and discussion points. Invitations will be sent by July 2021.
Due to uncertainty about the format in which the session will be held, applicants should be able to flexibly switch between in-person participation in Berlin and an online presentation without travels. Similarly, there might be flexibility to include online contributions the session regardless of the eventually chosen format.
New Voices in Global Health is an initiative by the World Health Summit, since 2019 in partnership with the Global Young Academy, to promote the active participation of young researchers at the summit.
Benefits for selected speakers include:
- Two complimentary registrations for the World Health Summit 2021 (Oct 25-27); speakers themselves will be registered centrally through the WHS office.
- Presentation opportunity in New Voices in Global Health session in the main conference program.
- Cover of travel and accommodation expenses including organization through a travel agent (economy class, max. four nights) if in-person session in Berlin will be held.
- High visibility in the World Health Summit network of 20k+ members from academia, politics, civil society, and the private sector.
- Networking opportunities with stakeholders from academia, politics, civil society, and the private sector.
- Topics and speakers being highlighted around the conference by accompanying communications from involved organizations.
Please submit your lightning talk by 6 June 2021, using this form: 2021 Call for New Voices in Global Health.